In 2020, SDE’s GL-style 11+ Mock Exams for Kent 11+ candidates are taking place at the following locations:
- Tonbridge, Kent
- Canterbury, Kent
The test papers for these Sessions have been written by Susan Daughtrey M.Ed, the tutor and author, to help students who are preparing to write the GL Assessment® English/Maths and Verbal Reasoning/Non-Verbal Reasoning Kent 11+ tests (often referred to as “The Kent Test”).
How many Sessions do you offer?
In each location there are 6 Sessions: Sessions A – F.
The test papers at each Session are unique (i.e. no repeat questions).
What is the agenda for each Session?
At each Session there are two multiple choice tests.
- Test Paper 1 is a Maths and English test which takes 1 hour. This test is split into two Sections (Section 1, Maths and Section 2, English). Each Section comprises a 5 minute timed practice, followed by 25 minutes of timed test questions. The English Section of the test includes comprehension, cloze and technical English (proof reading) questions and the Maths Section, questions from the Key Stage 2 Maths syllabus.
- Test paper 2 is a reasoning test which also lasts 1 hour and comprises verbal reasoning (5 minutes of practice questions and 25 minutes of test questions) and non-verbal reasoning. The non-verbal reasoning (NVR) is divided into several short timed Sections, with each short Section containing a different type of NVR question (prior to each Section there is a very short timed practice of that type of NVR question). The NVR can include types of question which test a child’s grasp of ‘spatial concepts’ (‘spatial reasoning’ and ‘3D’).
What other features are there?
- The tests are multiple choice with a question paper and separate multiple-choice answer sheet.
- Our tests are marked electronically using our Optical Mark Reader (OMR).
- As in the real exam, students are permitted to write their working out on the test paper which is then shredded and recycled after the Session.
- Each test paper has a weighting of 50%.
- The tests are conducted using audio administration and the test papers contain separately timed sections, similar to the real Kent 11+ tests.
Dynamic Video Tuition™
All of our 2020 GL Assessment-style 11+ Mock Exams include our unique and innovative Dynamic Video Tuition™ service.
Dynamic Video Tuition™ is a significant video production and IT project, involving the creation of more than 3000 short video tutorials, each typically 1-4 minutes in length, together with an online video streaming platform, so the video tutorials can be watched by you and your child at home. We have created a video tutorial for every question on our series of six Kent GL-style 11+ Mock Exams (as well as many of our other exam formats, including SDE CEM-style and GL-style 11+ Mock Exams used in other areas). In the run up to the 2019 11+ exams, our video tutorials were streamed by parents and students over 200,000 times!
Dynamic Video Tuition™ is designed to target your child’s individual learning needs. For each question your child answers incorrectly on the tests our bespoke online software (accessed via your secure parent login to the SDE website) will provide you with access to a data field and a link to a short video, devised and narrated by Susan Daughtrey M.Ed, which includes:
- The test question number;
- Your child’s wrong answer selection;
- A link to a video tutorial, devised and narrated by Susan Daughtrey, which can be streamed from home and which includes the following:
- The test question number, test question and multiple-choice answer options that appeared on the question paper;
- Where relevant (e.g for VR questions), an explanation of the technique or method that Susan Daughtrey recommends your child uses to answer the question, devised and narrated by Susan Daughtrey;
- Where relevant (e.g for Maths questions), working out is shown on screen in a step-by-step fashion, with Susan Daughtrey explaining the process your child should have followed (including any relevant Susan Daughtrey techniques and methods) to answer the question correctly; and
- Finally, the correct answer is shown on screen.
You can pause, rewind and re-watch the video tutorials provided as part of the 11+ Mock Exam feedback as many times as you like, until the 11+ exams in September 2020.
Dynamic Video Tuition™ has been devised with the specific objectives of giving your child the opportunity to: (a) learn from their mistakes; and (b) improve future exam performance. This is a unique and innovative resource, which responds to your child’s individual learning requirements by identifying only the questions your child answered incorrectly on the test papers and addressing those wrongly answered questions through the deployment of a video tutorial.
What other feedback can I expect after each Session?
Feedback is provided via a secure parent login on the SDE website.
This feedback includes:
- A Letter to Parents providing a detailed description of the type of questions which appeared on the test papers, a Target Mark™ and lists of the more complex vocabulary from the actual test papers;
- A Record Table™ which shows your child’s score in each element of the test papers, a total score for each test and a combined score for the two tests. Next to your child’s scores, we also provide the group average score (and the “all-time” average score) to help you identify your child’s strengths and weaknesses, relative to the other candidates;
- Two anonymised Lists of Scores showing the results of other students who have written the same test papers as your child:
- the first is the Group List of Scores – this list contains only the anonymised scores of the students attending the 11+ Mock Exam Session on the day with your child; and
- the second is the remarkable All-Time List of Scores, containing the test results of all students who have written the same tests as your child at various SDE Kent 11+ Mock Exam venues since 2017 (except Session F which is a new set of exam paper for 2020);
- Access to our unique and innovative Dynamic Video Tuition™ service detailed above, so you can see exactly which questions your child answered incorrectly and you have access to an expert explanation of how to answer the question which has been devised and narrated by Susan Daughtrey.
What other feedback can I expect after each Session?
Within a few days of the Session we will send to you by email:
- A Record Table™ which shows your child’s score in each element of the test papers, a total score for each test and a combined score for the two tests – next to your child’s scores, we also provide the group average score to help you identify your child’s strengths and weaknesses, relative to the other candidates;
- A Letter to Parents providing a detailed description of the type of questions which appeared on the test papers, a Target Mark™ and lists of the more complex vocabulary from the actual test papers; and
- An anonymised List of Scores achieved by other students who have written the same test papers – this will not only enable you to rank your child within the group, but also to see how much improvement is required to progress;
- Access to our unique and innovative Dynamic Video Tuition™ service detailed above, so you can see exactly which questions your child answered incorrectly and you have access to Susan Daughtrey’s explanation of how to answer the question.
In common with other 11+ mock exam providers and in order to provide parents with accurate feedback, including the child’s rank within the group, please note that the test papers and your child’s multiple-choice answer sheets are NOT released – as well as protecting the copyright in these unique and valuable resources, this is to ensure that no student has seen the test papers prior to attending an SDE Kent 11+ Mock Exam Session.
The ‘series’ of six Kent GL-style 11+ Mock Exam Sessions have been carefully timed to enable you to monitor your child’s progress and to give your child plenty of test paper practice in a formal exam room environment in the months leading up to the real 11+ tests. With our Dynamic Video Tuition™ service, your child is given the opportunity to learn from their mistakes and to improve future exam performance. Most parents opt for all six mock exams, which is our best value package and also attracts a further Early Booking Discount for those who are able to plan well in advance (all tests dates can be amended free of charge – please see below).
1 Session: £75
2 Sessions: £140 (£70 each, save £10)
3 Sessions: £195 (£65 each, save up to £30)
4 Sessions: £240 (£60 each, save up to £60)
5 Sessions: £275 (£55 each, save up to £100)
6 Sessions: £300 (£50 each, save up to £150) Early Booking Discount – save a further £20 – £280 (£46.67 each, save up to £170)
Terms and Conditions
All SDE 11+ Mock Exam Sessions are subject to our mock exam terms and conditions which you can view on the booking page.
Change of date / time / venue and cancellation
You can make unlimited online changes to your bookings (up to 72 hours before the relevant Session start time) via your secure SDE Account. All online changes of date / time / venue are entirely automated. This service is available to you 24/7 and is free of charge.
If you cancel your booking, we will apply a cancellation of charge of £20 to help cover our card processing fees and administration costs. Our fees will also be recalculated if you are cancelling part of a booking (e.g one test in a multiple booking). Please refer to our Terms and Conditions for full details.
Once you have paid for the Session(s), our system will automatically send you a Receipt and a Booking Confirmation (two separate emails).
How to book
- Review the timetable and click ‘Book Now’;
- Complete the simple Registration Form; and
- Pay for your Session(s) using a credit or debit card.
** Our Mock Exam bookings are temporarily suspended while we finalise a new 11+ Mock Exam timetable for Summer 2020, following the announcement from the DfE on 1st July that all Out of School Settings such as SDE must operate in small consistent groups of no more than 15 children this summer. Existing customers will be given priority to rebook into these new Sessions, which will be held at a small ‘core’ of venues located in Buckinghamshire, Berkshire and North London (with further venues then being reopened in a safe and managed way later in the summer). There will be more than sufficient capacity to accommodate every child with an existing Mock Exam booking with SDE although this may mean you have to change to one of the ‘core’ venues. Remaining places will be listed and available to book from 9.00am on Monday 20th July 2020. We kindly ask you to monitor this website and not to call – thank you. **
The Canterbury Academy
|E||Saturday 1st August 2020||10.15am to 12.45pm||Book Now|
|F||Saturday 15th August 2020||10.15am to 12.45pm||Book Now|
Tonbridge Grammar School for Girls
|D||Thursday 30th July 2020||10.15am to 12.45pm||Book Now|
|E||Friday 21st August 2020||10.15am to 12.45pm||Book Now|
|F||Thursday 27th August 2020||10.15am to 12.45pm||Book Now|
|Cancelled - Canterbury
The Canterbury Academy
|C||Saturday 4th July 2020||10.15am to 12.45pm||Sold Out|
|D||Saturday 18th July 2020||10.15am to 12.45pm||Book Now|
|Cancelled - Tonbridge
Tonbridge Grammar School for Girls
|C||Saturday 11th July 2020||10.15am to 12.45pm||Book Now|