The SDE 11+ Mock Exams were able to take place during the July to October 2020 period. We adopted the following measures to help keep everyone as safe as possible when attending SDE:
- Each SDE 11+ Mock Exam 'bubble' was limited to 15 candidates.
- There were special hygiene measures (such as hand washing) at Registration.
- PPE was made available free of charge at the Registration Desk for staff and students. Staff were required to wear a mask if they needed to move within 2 metres of others. In line with DfE Guidance for 9-10 year old children, candidates were not required to wear masks but were welcome to do so.
- Desks and chairs were disinfected at the beginning of the day and between each use.
- All exam papers and answer sheets were placed on the candidate’s desk before they entered the Exam Hall.
- Candidates were sat at least 2 metres apart in the Exam Hall (an enhanced measure taken by SDE over and above the requirements of the Government Guidance at the time). Please see our example Tuition Centre diagram and Tuition Centre photos (SDE Burkes Court, Beaconsfield).
- We maintained records of the seating positions of candidates and staff at each exam and kept these for at least four weeks to assist with Track & Trace.
Comprehensive details of the steps we took to keep everyone safe at the SDE 11+ Mock Exams were seen by the policy team at the DfE who are responsible for Out of School Settings, who commented that the plans “seem[ed] very sensible”.
Parents were sent full details of the measures, and the instructions they needed to follow, the day prior to each 11+ Mock Exam.