New for 2017 – Home Video Tutorials: In addition to providing detailed feedback after the Session (see below), parents will be emailed a link to a short video tutorial (approximately 20 minutes long) to watch at home, together with their child. Each video tutorial will consider a small number of carefully selected questions from the actual SDE mock exam test papers. Susan will explain the technique/method which the candidate should have used to successfully tackle the review question and the correct answer to the review question. The video tutorials are varied, however there is a particular emphasis on those questions where a technique/method can be taught to the student, including in particular the Long/Problem Maths questions which commonly appear on CEM test papers and which students tend to find challenging.
In 2017, SDE’s CEM-style 11+ Mock Exams are taking place in the following locations:
- Chalfont St. Peter, Buckinghamshire
- Beaconsfield, Buckinghamshire
- High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire
- Reading, Berkshire
- Redbridge, North East London
- Finchley / Mill Hill, North London (special Sessions for Henrietta Barnett 11+ candidates only)
- Harrow, North West London
- Slough / Langley, Berkshire
- Earley, Berkshire
The test papers have been written by Susan Daughtrey M.Ed, the tutor and author, to help students who are preparing to write the CEM® (Durham University®) 11+ tests.
How many Sessions do you offer?
In each location there are 5 Sessions: Sessions A – E.
The test papers at each Session are unique (i.e. no repeat questions).
What is the agenda for each Session?
At each Session we will emulate, as far as reasonably practicable, your child’s most likely experience on the day of the real CEM 11+ tests. To this end, in each location our CEM-style 11+ Mock Exam Sessions include the following features:
- Two 45 – 50 minute multiple-choice test papers at each Session;
- A short break between the two test papers;
- Individual Sections of the paper are separately timed; and
- As part of the administration of the tests, we use pre-recorded and pre-timed vocal prompts (broadcast using speakers) to announce, for example, when the student can start each Section of the test etc.
What other features are there?
- SDE’s test papers contain questions which Susan Daughtrey M.Ed expects to be of a similar style and level of difficulty to the questions on the ‘real’ CEM 11+ tests (this has been confirmed by many former SDE mock exam students who have written to SDE following the real CEM tests to report that the ‘Susan Daughtrey mock exams were the most like the real CEM tests’);
- SDE’s test papers include a range of verbal reasoning (including English comprehension and vocabulary), numerical reasoning and non-verbal reasoning questions, split into several stand-alone Sections within each test paper and which are individually timed using the pre-recorded audio adminstration;
- Students are encouraged to write their working out on the actual question paper (which is recycled after the Session) as they will be permitted to write their working out on the real CEM test papers;
- Students are instructed to record all their answers on the separate multiple-choice answer sheet;
- The answer sheets are marked accurately using electronic scanning technology (known as Optical Mark Recognition or OMR);
- All venues have been carefully appraised by SDE and found to be suitable for 11+ mock exams;
- All venues feature free parking; and
- At our larger venues various CEM-style 11+ resources may be available for sale in our CEM-style 11+ bookshop.
What feedback can I expect after each Session?
Within a few days of the Session we will send to you by email:
- A Record Table™ which shows your child’s score in each Section of the test papers and a total score for each test paper;
- A Letter to Parents providing a detailed description of the type of questions which appeared in each Section of the test papers, a Target Mark (enabling you to quickly and accurately identify your child’s weaknesses) and lists of the more complex vocabulary which appeared on the test papers; and
- A List of Sample Scores achieved by other students who have written the same test papers – this will not only enable you to rank your child within the group, but also to see how much improvement is required to move up the table.
In common with other 11+ mock exam providers and in order to provide parents with accurate feedback, including the child’s ranking within the group, please note that the test papers are NOT released – as well as protecting the copyright in these unique and valuable resources, this is to ensure that no student has seen the test papers prior to attending an SDE mock exam Session.
The ‘series’ of five CEM-style 11+ Mock Exam Sessions have been carefully timed to enable you to monitor your child’s exam performance and to give your child plenty of test paper practice in a formal exam room environment in the months leading up to the real 11+ tests.
1 Session: £70
2 Sessions: £130 (save £10)
3 Sessions: £180 (save up to £30)
4 Sessions: £220 (save up to £60)
5 Sessions: £250 (save up to £100)
Terms and conditions
All SDE CEM-style 11+ Mock Exam Sessions are subject to our mock exam terms and conditions which you can view on the booking page.
Please carefully select your dates as we charge an administration fee for changes and cancellations/refunds. For full details please read the terms and conditions.
Once you have paid for the Session(s), we will send you an email confirming your payment and then separately confirm your child’s place within 3 business days (usually a lot quicker than this). In the unlikely event that we are unable to accommodate your child because a Session is full or at any stage cancelled, a full refund will be issued for the relevant Session.
How to book
- Review the timetable and click ‘Book Now’;
- Complete the simple Registration Form;
- Pay for your Session(s); and
- We will then confirm your child’s place by email once your child’s name has been added to our registers.