Skip to Mock Exam Options
In 2019, SDE’s GL Assessment-style 11+ Mock Exams for the new Buckinghamshire 11+ tests are taking place at the following locations:
- Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire
- Beaconsfield, Buckinghamshire
- Chalfont St. Peter, Buckinghamshire
- High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire
- Slough, Berkshire
The test papers for these Sessions have been written by Susan Daughtrey M.Ed, the tutor and author, to help students who are preparing to write the GL Assessment® Verbal Reasoning, Maths and Non-Verbal Reasoning Buckinghamshire 11+ tests.
Please note GL Assessment® is the official 11+ test provider for the Buckinghamshire Grammar Schools and it has no association or affiliation with SDE – our tests are written by Susan Daughtrey M.Ed for children preparing for the ‘real’ Buckinghamshire 11+ tests by GL Assessment®.
How many Sessions do you offer?
In each location there are 5 Sessions: Sessions A – E.
The test papers at each Session are unique (i.e. no repeat questions).
What is the agenda for each Session?
At each Session we will emulate, as far as reasonably practicable, your child’s most likely experience on the day of the real GL Assessment 11+ Buckinghamshire tests. To this end, in each location our GL Assessment-style 11+ Mock Exams (for Buckinghamshire 11+ candidates) include the following features:
- Two test papers:
- Test Paper 1 is a ‘verbal reasoning’ test comprising (i) comprehension; (ii) cloze (multiple choice, GL-style); (iii) technical English (proof reading); and (iv) verbal reasoning questions.
- Test paper 2 is a ‘non-verbal reasoning (including spatial reasoning)’ and ‘maths’ test.
- Each test contains 45 minutes of questions.
- The tests are multiple choice with a question paper and separate multiple-choice answer sheet.
- The tests are administered using audio administration and the test papers contain separately timed sections.
- Prior to each timed Section within each test paper, the Instructions for the questions in that Section and an Example of each type of question are presented (and read out audibly by the audio administration) and there is then a short period to attempt several Practice questions, the answers to which are subsequently read out by the audio administration.
- Each of the two test papers has a weighting of 50%. Verbal reasoning (including comprehension, cloze, technical English (proof reading) and verbal reasoning questions) carry half of the total marks and NVR/spatial reasoning and Maths each attract one quarter of the total marks.
Following the SDE 2018 GL Assessment-style Mock Exams, we asked each of our 11+ Course students to submit a detailed online feedback form, seeking information about the content, timing and administration of the new GL Assessment Buckinghamshire 11+ tests (used in Buckinghamshire for the first time in 2018). We are very grateful for the considerable number of submissions we received, which has enabled us to establish a very detailed understanding of the content of the 2018 Buckinghamshire GL Assessment 11+ tests.
The vast majority of students responding to the questionnaire stated that the SDE 2018 GL Assessment-style Mock Exams were very similar to the real 11+ tests, with the notable exception of the inclusion of two ‘new’ types of question not previously seen on 11+ exam papers – one VR and one non-VR/spatial reasoning type of question. We have received many accounts of these two new question types and examples of them will be included on the 2019 SDE GL Assessments-style 11+ Mock Exam test papers, together with a small number of ‘novel’ question types, developed by Susan Daughtrey M.Ed. This is to help prepare your child for the challenge of addressing new question types for the first time in the real 11+ exam, as the The Buckinghamshire Grammar Schools state on their website that the test question types will evolve from year to year.
Some other minor adjustments will also be made to the test paper content and administration based on the feedback provided by last year’s students, however a major overhaul of the exam papers is not considered necessary as the vast majority of students reported that the SDE 11+ Mock Exams were very similar to the real GL Assessment 11+ tests.
What feedback can I expect after each Session?
Within a few days of the Session we will send to you by email:
- A Letter to Parents providing a detailed description of the type of questions which appeared on the test papers, a Target Mark™ and lists of the more complex vocabulary from the actual test papers;
- A Record Table™ which shows your child’s score in each element of the test papers, a total score for each test and a combined score for the two tests – next to your child’s scores, we also provide the group average score to help you identify your child’s strengths and weaknesses, relative to the other candidates (there are usually many other students to compare your child’s results to as the Sessions are extremely popular);
- An anonymised List of Scores achieved by other students who have written the same test papers – this will not only enable you to rank your child within the group, but also to see how much improvement is required to progress.
In common with other 11+ mock exam providers and in order to provide parents with accurate feedback, including the child’s rank within the group, please note that the test papers and your child’s multiple-choice answer sheets are NOT released – as well as protecting the copyright in these unique and valuable resources, this is to ensure that no student has seen the test papers prior to attending an SDE mock exam Session.
The ‘series’ of five GL-style 11+ Mock Exam Sessions have been carefully timed to enable you to monitor your child’s progress and to give your child plenty of test paper practice in a formal exam room environment in the months leading up to the real 11+ tests.
1 Session: £70
2 Sessions: £130 (save £10)
3 Sessions: £180 (save up to £30)
4 Sessions: £220 (save up to £60)
5 Sessions: £250 £230 (Early Booking Discount – save a further £20, making a total saving of up to £120, when you book all five Sessions)
Terms and Conditions
All SDE 11+ Mock Exam Sessions are subject to our mock exam terms and conditions which you can view on the booking page.
Please carefully select your dates as we charge an administration fee for amendments and cancellations.
Once you have paid for the Session(s), our system will automatically send you a Receipt and a Booking Confirmation (two separate emails).
How to book
- Review the timetable and click ‘Book Now’;
- Complete the simple Registration Form; and
- Pay for your Session(s) using a credit or debit card.