Skip to Mock Exam Options
In 2018, SDE’s GL-style 11+ Mock Exams (together with home video tutorial) for the new Buckinghamshire 11+ tests are taking place at the following locations:
- Chalfont St. Peter, Buckinghamshire
- Beaconsfield, Buckinghamshire
- High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire
- Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire
- Harrow, North West London
- Slough, Berkshire
New test papers are being written for these Sessions by Susan Daughtrey M.Ed, the tutor and author, to help students who are preparing to write the new GL Assessment® Verbal Reasoning, Maths and Non-Verbal Reasoning Buckinghamshire 11+ tests. (Please note GL Assessment® is the official 11+ test provider for the Buckinghamshire Grammar Schools and it has no association or affiliation with SDE – our tests are written by Susan Daughtrey M.Ed for children preparing for the ‘real’ Bucks 11+ tests by GL Assessment.)
How many Sessions do you offer?
In each location there are 5 Sessions: Sessions A – E.
The test papers at each Session are unique (i.e. no repeat questions).
Officially, what do the new tests comprise?
At present, the Buckinghamshire Grammar Schools have announced:
- There will be two test papers:
- Test Paper 1 is a ‘verbal reasoning’ test comprising (i) ‘comprehension’ (ii) ‘technical English’; and (iii) ‘verbal reasoning’ questions.
- Test paper 2 is a ‘non-verbal reasoning’, ‘spatial reasoning’ and ‘maths’ test.
- Each test contains 45 minutes of questions.
- The tests are multiple choice with a question paper and separate multiple-choice answer sheet.
- Each test paper has a weighting of 50%. Verbal reasoning (including comprehension, technical English and verbal reasoning questions) carry half of the total marks, whereas Maths and NVR/spatial reasoning each attract one quarter of the total marks.
- The tests will make use of audio administration and the test papers will contain separately timed sections – in that regard, similar to the old CEM 11+ tests.
How will the SDE mock exams seek to emulate the new tests?
GL Assessment is a very well-known and highly regarded 11+ test provider, which used to provide the Buckinghamshire 11+ tests prior to 2013. Susan has both historic and up-to-date knowledge of the content of GL Assessment 11+ tests and is widely regarded as the country’s pre-eminent authority on preparing students for GL Assessment 11+ verbal reasoning tests. Susan is therefore incredibly well placed to write these new tests to help your child prepare for the new GL Assessment Buckinghamshire 11+ tests.
- We will create two tests (the first a VR test including comprehension, technical English (proof reading) and the ’21 types’ of verbal reasoning question and the second containing NVR, spatial reasoning and maths questions).
- 50% of the total marks will be given to the verbal reasoning test and 50% to the NVR/spatial reasoning and maths test.
- As with our CEM-style tests, which we have been running for many years with outstanding success, we will create our own pre-recorded audio file and play this through speakers in the exam hall.
Parents should be assured that every possible effort will be made to give your child the very best ’11+ mock exam’ experience for the new Bucks 11+ tests with Susan Daughtrey Education.
What feedback can I expect after each Session?
Within a few days of the Session we will send to you by email:
- A Record Table™ which shows your child’s score in each element of the test papers, a total score for each test and a combined score for the two tests – next to your child’s scores, we also provide the group average score to help you identify your child’s strengths and weaknesses, relative to the other candidates;
- A Letter to Parents providing a detailed description of the type of questions which appeared on the test papers, a Target Mark™ and lists of the more complex vocabulary from the actual test papers;
- An anonymised List of Scores achieved by other students who have written the same test papers – this will not only enable you to rank your child within the group, but also to see how much improvement is required to progress; and
- A link to an Online Video Tutorial (20-30 minutes in length) to watch at home, together with your child. Each video tutorial considers a small number of carefully selected questions from the actual SDE mock exam test papers. Susan then explains the technique/method which your child should have used to successfully tackle the review question and the correct answer to the review question. The video tutorials are varied, however there is a particular emphasis on those questions where a technique/method can be taught to the student, to help improve future exam performance.
In common with other 11+ mock exam providers and in order to provide parents with accurate feedback, including the child’s rank within the group, please note that the test papers and your child’s multiple-choice answer sheets are NOT released – as well as protecting the copyright in these unique and valuable resources, this is to ensure that no student has seen the test papers prior to attending an SDE mock exam Session.
The ‘series’ of five GL-style 11+ Mock Exam Sessions have been carefully timed to enable you to monitor your child’s progress and to give your child plenty of test paper practice in a formal exam room environment in the months leading up to the real 11+ tests.
1 Session: £70
2 Sessions: £130 (save £10)
3 Sessions: £180 (save up to £30)
4 Sessions: £220 (save up to £60)
5 Sessions: £250 (save up to £100)
Terms and Conditions
All SDE 11+ Mock Exam Sessions are subject to our mock exam terms and conditions which you can view on the booking page.
Please carefully select your dates as we charge an administration fee for amendments and cancellations. Full details can be found in the terms and conditions, which can be viewed on the booking page.
Once you have paid for the Session(s), our system will automatically send you a Receipt and a Booking Confirmation (two separate emails).
How to book
- Review the timetable and click ‘Book Now’;
- Complete the simple Registration Form; and
- Pay for your Session(s) using a credit or debit card.