Skip to Mock Exam Dates and Venues
In 2020, SDE’s 11+ Mock Exams for Maths and Verbal Reasoning (GL Assessment-style) and English (reading comprehension and writing – standard version) 11+ candidates take place at Harrow School.
COVID-19: What measures are in place to help keep my child safe when attending the SDE 11+ Mock Exams during Covid-19?
The real 11+ is not taking place online and it will not be sat at home. In preparation for the 11+, it is important that 11+ candidates have the chance to practice in a realistic environment. We are pleased to offer this opportunity to the children while taking extensive measures to minimise the risks during the pandemic. The key control measures we are taking are:
- Each SDE 11+ Mock Exam Session is limited to 15 candidates.
- There are special hygiene measures at Registration.
- PPE is available at the Registration Desk for staff and students. Staff are required to wear a mask if they need to move within 2 metres of others or when moving around the building.
- Desks and chairs are disinfected at the beginning of the day and between each use.
- All exam papers and answer sheets are placed on your child’s desk before they enter the Exam Hall or classroom.
- Candidates are sat at least 2 metres apart in the Exam Hall.
- At the end of Session the children are led outside to meet their parent at the Collection Area.
- We maintain a plan of the seating positions of each candidate and will retain these records for at least 4 weeks to assist with contact tracing.
Comprehensive details of the steps we are taking to keep everyone safe at the SDE 11+ Mock Exams have been seen by a senior policy team at the DfE who are responsible for the Out of School Sector, who have commented that our plans “seem very sensible”.
Parents are sent full details of the measures we are taking, and the instructions they need to follow, the day prior to the 11+ Mock Exam. We will continue to update our policies and procedures as the situation evolves and new Government Guidance is issued. This means that some of the measures above may be subject to change.
We are pleased to share with you some photos and a diagram of the modified SDE 11+ Tuition Centre at Burkes Court in Beaconsfield which is now Covid-19 secure and ready for face-to-face 11+ Courses and 11+ Mock Exams. Similar changes have been made to our other Covid-19 secure ‘hubs’ in Berkshire and North London.
Who can attend?
The test papers have been written by Susan Daughtrey M.Ed, the tutor and author, to help students who are preparing to write the GL Assessment® multiple-choice Maths / Verbal Reasoning 11+ test (60 mins) and the separate standard version English 11+ test, comprising reading comprehension and writing and which is normally prepared in-house by The Latymer School (60 mins).
How many Sessions do you offer?
There are three Sessions held at either:
- The Butler Centre, Harrow School, 5 High Street, Harrow on the Hill, HA1 3HP; or
- The Latymer School, Haselbury Road, Edmonton, N9 9TN
Each SDE 11+ Mock Exam Session comprises a multiple-choice Maths and Verbal Reasoning 11+ test (GL Assessment-style) (60 mins) and English test (comprising reading comprehension and writing in the standard format – i.e not multiple choice) (60 mins). The two papers are separated by a short break. Answers to the Maths and Verbal Reasoning test are recorded by the student on a separate multiple-choice answer sheet. The English test is divided into two 30 minute Sections, the first Section is reading comprehension and the final Section, is writing.
The Sessions have been carefully timed to coincide with your child’s final preparation for the multiple-choice GL Assessment® Maths and Verbal Reasoning test and the standard version English test for entry to The Latymer School.
What is the agenda for each session?
At each Session we will emulate, as far as reasonably practicable, your child’s most likely experience on the day of the real Maths / Verbal Reasoning and English 11+ tests for entrance to The Latymer School. To this end, we are very pleased to give the children the opportunity to attend their exam at The Latymer School, now the school has reopened to SDE following a period during which it was closed to outside users due to Covid-19.
What other features are there?
- SDE’s test papers contain questions which Susan Daughtrey expects to be of a similar style and level of difficulty to the questions on the ‘real’ GL Assessment® Maths and Verbal Reasoning 11+ test and the separate standard version English 11+ test;
- The venues have been carefully appraised by SDE and found to be suitable for 11+ mock exams;
- The venues features free off-street parking; and
- As part of the feedback, parents will receive a marked copy of their child’s test papers (and separate multiple choice answer sheet for the Maths and Verbal Reasoning test) and a list of the correct answers.
- The English test is marked by one of the SDE 11+ Course tutors who is responsible for three groups of Year 5 students attending the SDE 11+ Course in Buckinghamshire. As well as working for SDE, at her North London school she is the Head of English and Assistant Headteacher. As well as receiving a breakdown of the results, you will also be sent a scanned copy of the marked English test paper with some brief comments on the written section. You will also receive a mark scheme for the English comprehension, against which you can compare your child’s responses. We use the same teacher to mark all English scripts, which means the All Time List of Scores show the results of other students who have been assessed consistently throughout the year.
1 Session: £75
2 Sessions: £140 (£70 each, save £10)
3 Sessions: £195 (£65 each, save up to £30)
4 Sessions: £240 (£60 each, save up to £60)
5 Sessions: £275 (£55 each, save up to £100) (Covid-19 Block Booking Discount: reduced by a further £20 to £255)
6 Sessions: £300 (£50 each, save up to £150) (Covid-19 Block Booking Discount: reduced by a further £20 to £280)
You can combine these tests with Mock Exams that we run directly at other venues. Simply add these tests to your Cart and continue looking for Mock Exam in other areas.
Terms and Conditions
All SDE 11+ Mock Exam Sessions are subject to our mock exam terms and conditions which you can view on the booking page.
Change of date / time / venue and cancellation
You can make unlimited online changes to your bookings (up to 72 hours before the relevant Session start time) via your secure SDE Account. All online changes of date / time / venue are entirely automated. This service is available to you 24/7 and is free of charge.
If you cancel your booking, we will apply a cancellation of charge of £20 to help cover our card processing fees and administration costs. Our fees will also be recalculated if you are cancelling part of a booking (e.g one test in a multiple booking). Please refer to our Terms and Conditions for full details.
Once you have paid for the Session(s), you will automatically receive a Receipt and a Booking Confirmation (two separate emails).
How to book
- Review the timetable and click ‘Book Now’;
- Complete the simple Registration Form; and
- Pay for your Session(s).