Skip to Mock Exam OptionsIn 2020, SDE’s Maths/English 11+ Mock Exams (for Surrey and Sutton 11+ candidates) are taking place in Epsom, Surrey.
COVID-19: What measures are in place to help keep my child safe when attending the SDE 11+ Mock Exams during Covid-19?
The real 11+ is not taking place online and it will not be sat at home. In preparation for the 11+, it is important that 11+ candidates have the chance to practice in a realistic environment. We are pleased to offer this opportunity to the children while taking extensive measures to minimise the risks during the pandemic. The key control measures we are taking are:
- Each SDE 11+ Mock Exam Session is limited to 15 candidates.
- There are special hygiene measures at Registration.
- PPE is available at the Registration Desk for staff and students. Staff are required to wear a mask if they need to move within 2 metres of others or when moving around the building.
- Desks and chairs are disinfected at the beginning of the day and between each use.
- All exam papers and answer sheets are placed on your child’s desk before they enter the Exam Hall or classroom.
- Candidates are sat at least 2 metres apart in the Exam Hall.
- At the end of Session the children are led outside to meet you at the Collection Area.
- We maintain a plan of the seating positions of each candidate and will retain these records for at least 4 weeks to assist with contact tracing.
Comprehensive details of the steps we are taking to keep everyone safe at the SDE 11+ Mock Exams have been seen by a senior policy team at the DfE who are responsible for the Out of School Sector, who have commented that our plans “seem very sensible”.
Parents are sent full details of the measures we are taking, and the instructions they need to follow, the day prior to the 11+ Mock Exam. We will continue to update our policies and procedures as the situation evolves and new Government Guidance is issued. This means that some of the measures above may be subject to change.
We are pleased to share with you some photos and a diagram of the modified SDE 11+ Tuition Centre at Burkes Court in Beaconsfield which is now Covid-19 secure and ready for face-to-face 11+ Courses and 11+ Mock Exams. Similar changes have been made to our other Covid-19 secure ‘hubs’ in Berkshire and North London.
Who can attend?
The test papers have been written by Susan Daughtrey M.Ed, the tutor and author, to help students who are preparing to write the Surrey and Sutton 11+ Stage 1 (GL Assessment®, multiple-choice) and Stage 2 (standard version) Maths and English 11+ entrance exams.
SDE’s Session A and B (GL Assessment-style, multiple choice) Maths and English tests are also suitable practice for Queen Elizabeth (QE) Boys 11+ candidates.
How many sessions do you offer?
There will be 4 sessions held at Langley: Sessions A, B, C & D.
Sessions A & B comprise multiple-choice Maths and English 11+ mock exams which are separated by a short break. Sessions A & B are designed to be the equivalent of Stage 1 of the real 11+ Surrey and Sutton multiple-choice Maths and English tests and the QE Boys multiple-choice Maths and English tests which are provided by GL Assessment®.
Sessions C & D comprise standard version Maths and English 11+ mock exams which are also separated by a short break. Sessions C & D are designed to be the equivalent of Stage 2 of the real Surrey and Sutton 11+ entrance tests. Please note Sessions C & D comprise standard version tests in preparation for Stage 2 of the Surrey and Sutton 11+ selection process and are not suited to QE Boys 11+ candidates.
What is the agenda for each session?
At each Session we will emulate, as far as reasonably practicable, your child’s most likely experience on the day of the real 11+ tests.
What other features are there?
- SDE’s test papers contain questions which Susan Daughtrey expects to be of a similar style and level of difficulty to the questions on the ‘real’ GL 11+ tests (this has been confirmed by many former SDE mock exam students who have written to SDE following the real GL tests to report that the ‘Susan Daughtrey mock exams were the most like the real GL tests’);
- Students are encouraged to write their working out on the actual question papers as they will be permitted to write their working out on the real 11+ test papers;
- At Sessions A and B, students are instructed to record all their answers on the separate multiple-choice answer sheet (Sessions C and D are ‘standard version’ tests where students write their answers on the test papers);
- For Session A and B, the answer sheets are marked accurately and quickly using electronic scanning technology (known as ‘Optical Mark Recognition’ or ‘OMR’) – this enables us to disseminate the results quickly after the test;
- All venues have been carefully appraised by SDE and found to be suitable for 11+ mock exams; and
- All venues feature plentiful free parking.
Dynamic Video Tuition™ – Sessions A and B
In 2020, Session A and B include our unique and innovative Dynamic Video Tuition™ service.
Dynamic Video Tuition™ is a significant video production and IT project, involving the creation of more than 3000 short video tutorials, each typically 1-4 minutes in length, together with an online video streaming platform, so the video tutorials can be watched by you and your child at home. We have created a video tutorial for every question on the Session A & B 11+ Mock Exams (as well as many of our other exam formats, including SDE GL-style and CEM-style 11+ Mock Exams used in other areas). In the run up to the 2019 11+ exams, our video tutorials were streamed by parents and students over 200,000 times!
Dynamic Video Tuition™ is designed to target your child’s individual learning needs. For each question your child answers incorrectly on the tests our bespoke online software (accessed via your secure parent login to the SDE website) will provide you with access to a data field and a link to a short video, devised and narrated by Susan Daughtrey, which includes:
- The test question number;
- Your child’s wrong answer selection;
- A link to a video tutorial, devised and narrated by Susan Daughtrey M.Ed, which can be streamed from home and which includes the following:
- The test question number, test question and multiple-choice answer options that appeared on the question paper;
- Where relevant (e.g for VR questions), an explanation of the technique or method that Susan Daughtrey recommends your child uses to answer the question, devised and narrated by Susan Daughtrey;
- Where relevant (e.g for Maths questions), working out is shown on screen in a step-by-step fashion, with Susan Daughtrey explaining the process she recommends your child should follow to answer the question correctly; and
- Finally, the correct answer is shown on screen.
You can pause, rewind and re-watch the video tutorials provided as part of the 11+ Mock Exam feedback as many times as you like, until the 11+ exams in September 2020.
Dynamic Video Tuition™ has been devised with the specific objectives of giving your child the opportunity to: (a) learn from their mistakes; and (b) improve future exam performance. This is a unique and innovative resource, which responds to your child’s individual learning requirements by identifying only the questions your child answered incorrectly on the test papers and addressing those wrongly answered questions through the deployment of a video tutorial.
This is simply a fantastic way to revise with your child and was described by one very satisfied 2019 parent, as a “game-changer”.
What other feedback can I expect after each Session?
Feedback is provided via a secure parent login to the SDE website.
This feedback includes:
- A Record Table™ which shows your child’s score in each element of the test papers, a total score for each test and a combined score for the two tests. Next to your child’s scores, we also provide the group average score (as well as the “all-time” average score) to help you identify your child’s strengths and weaknesses, relative to the other candidates (there are usually many other students to compare your child’s results to as the Sessions are extremely popular);
- The Group List of Scores containing the anonymised scores of the students attending the 11+ Mock Exam Session at the same time as your child (giving you the most “like-for-like” comparison available as the test papers were sat in the same circumstances);
- For Sessions A and B, access to our unique and innovative Dynamic Video Tuition™ service detailed above, so you can see exactly which questions your child answered incorrectly and you have access to an expert explanation of how to answer the question which has been devised and narrated by Susan Daughtrey M.Ed.
1 Session: £75
2 Sessions: £140 (£70 each, save £10)
3 Sessions: £195 (£65 each, save up to £30)
4 Sessions: £240 (£60 each, save up to £60)
5 Sessions: £275 (£55 each, save up to £100) (Covid-19 Block Booking Discount: reduced by a further £20 to £255)
6 Sessions: £300 (£50 each, save up to £150) (Covid-19 Block Booking Discount: reduced by a further £20 to £280)
You can combine these tests with Mock Exams that we run directly at other venues. Simply add these tests to your Cart and continue looking for Mock Exam in other areas.
Terms and Conditions
All SDE 11+ Mock Exam Sessions are subject to our mock exam terms and conditions which you can view on the booking page.
Change of date / time / venue and cancellation
You can make unlimited online changes to your bookings (up to 72 hours before the relevant Session start time) via your secure SDE Account. All online changes of date / time / venue are entirely automated. This service is available to you 24/7 and is free of charge.
If you cancel your booking, we will apply a cancellation of charge of £20 to help cover our card processing fees and administration costs. Our fees will also be recalculated if you are cancelling part of a booking (e.g one test in a multiple booking). Please refer to our Terms and Conditions for full details.
Once you have paid for the Session(s), you will automatically receive a Receipt and a Booking Confirmation (two separate emails).
How to book
- Review the timetable and click ‘Book Now’;
- Complete the simple Registration Form; and
- Pay for your Session(s).