In 2018, SDE’s CEM-style 11+ Mock Exams (together with home video tutorials) are taking place in the following locations:
- Slough / Langley, Berkshire
- Reading, Berkshire
- Redbridge, North-East London
- Harrow, North West London
- Earley, Berkshire
- Finchley / Mill Hill, North London (special Sessions for Henrietta Barnett 11+ candidates only – one long test paper, no NVR)
The test papers have been written by Susan Daughtrey M.Ed, the tutor and author, to help students who are preparing to write the CEM® (Durham University®) 11+ tests.
How many Sessions do you offer?
In each location there are 5 Sessions: Sessions A – E.
The test papers at each Session are unique (i.e. no repeat questions).
What is the agenda for each Session?
At each Session we will emulate, as far as reasonably practicable, your child’s most likely experience on the day of the real CEM 11+ tests. To this end, in each location our CEM-style 11+ Mock Exam Sessions include the following features:
- Two 45 – 50 minute multiple-choice test papers at each Session;
- A short break between the two test papers;
- Individual Sections of the test papers are separately timed; and
- As part of the administration of the tests, we use pre-recorded and pre-timed vocal prompts (broadcast using speakers) to announce, for example, when the student can start each Section of the test etc.
What other features are there?
- SDE’s test papers contain questions which Susan Daughtrey M.Ed expects to be of a similar style and level of difficulty to the questions on the ‘real’ CEM 11+ tests (this has been confirmed by many former SDE mock exam students who have written to SDE following the real CEM tests to report that the ‘Susan Daughtrey mock exams were the most like the real CEM tests’);
- SDE’s test papers include a range of verbal reasoning (including English comprehension and vocabulary), numerical reasoning and non-verbal reasoning questions, split into several stand-alone Sections within each test paper and which are individually timed using the pre-recorded audio adminstration;
- Students are encouraged to write their working out on the actual question paper (which is securely shredded and recycled after the Session) as they will be permitted to write their working out on the real CEM test papers;
- Students are instructed to record all their answers on the separate multiple-choice answer sheet;
- The answer sheets are marked accurately using electronic scanning technology (known as ‘Optical Mark Recognition’ or ‘OMR’);
- All venues have been carefully appraised by SDE and found to be suitable for 11+ mock exams; and
- All venues feature plentiful free parking.
What feedback can I expect after each Session?
Within a few days of the Session we will send to you by email:
- A Record Table™ which shows your child’s score in each element of the test papers, a total score for each test and a combined score for the two tests – next to your child’s scores, we also provide the group average score to help you identify your child’s strengths and weaknesses, relative to the other candidates;
- A Letter to Parents™ providing a detailed description of the type of questions which appeared on the test papers, a Target Mark and lists of the more complex vocabulary from the actual test papers;
- An anonymised List of Scores™ achieved by other students who have written the same test papers – this will not only enable you to rank your child within the group, but also to see how much improvement is required to progress; and
- A link to an Online Video Tutorial (20-30 minutes in length) to watch at home, together with your child. Each video tutorial considers a small number of carefully selected questions from the actual SDE mock exam test papers. Susan then explains the technique/method which your child should have used to successfully tackle the review question and the correct answer to the review question. The video tutorials are varied, however there is a particular emphasis on those questions where a technique/method can be taught to the student, to help improve future exam performance.
In common with other 11+ mock exam providers and in order to provide parents with accurate feedback, including the child’s rank within the group, please note that the test papers and your child’s multiple-choice answer sheets are NOT released – as well as protecting the copyright in these unique and valuable resources, this is to ensure that no student has seen the test papers prior to attending an SDE mock exam Session.
The ‘series’ of five CEM-style 11+ Mock Exam Sessions have been carefully timed to enable you to monitor your child’s exam performance and to give your child plenty of test paper practice in a formal exam room environment in the months leading up to the real 11+ tests.
1 Session: £70
2 Sessions: £130 (save £10)
3 Sessions: £180 (save up to £30)
4 Sessions: £220 (save up to £60) Early Booking Discount (save a further £20): £200
5 Sessions: £250 (save up to £100) Early Booking Discount (save a further £20): £230
Terms and conditions
All SDE CEM-style 11+ Mock Exam Sessions are subject to our mock exam terms and conditions which you can view on the booking page.
Please carefully select your dates as we charge an administration fee for amendments and cancellations/refunds. Full details can be found in the terms and conditions, which can be viewed on the booking page.
Once you have paid for the Session(s), you will automatically receive a Receipt and a Booking Confirmation (two separate emails).
How to book
- Review the timetable and click ‘Book Now’;
- Complete the simple Registration Form; and
- Pay for your Session(s).